A collection of recipes submitted by the food loving inhabitants of Nunhead and collated for all to share.

Thursday 5 April 2012

Shona's Cheese Scones



I'm probably a fairly typical 'Londoner' I arrived in late 1998 to attend University, and have never left. In the course of the 14ish years I've lived here my homes have mostly been in South London, from deepest Lee Green whilst at Uni, to Deptford via Wapping & then the past 9 years in Nunhead. Having moved into our first place in Nunhead, we were astounded when a neighbour popped around 2 minutes later asking if we needed any milk. I was even more astounded when I realised my lovely neighbour was an artist and member of the Royal Academy, whilst two doors down we had a world class pianist, but that's the kind of place Nunhead is by and large I have discovered. Made for some interesting evening chats over back garden walls.


Grandmas Lilley's Cheese Scones

But back to my roots for this favourite recipe then. Originally from Somerset, I grew up in Shepton Mallet, with my maternal Grandmother originally from Gloucestershire, but then living in Yeovil. My Mum didn't drive, still doesn't, so a trip to Grandmas involved a 1.5 hour bus journey, just to get 20 miles down the road. The thought of that trip still makes me queasy, but the best bit was we'd always have Cheese Scones on arrival, warm and waiting for us. And so here they are for you now.


 
Ingredients
For the recipe (Makes 10)

8oz Self Raising Flour
6-8oz Strong Cheddar Cheese (try to use the absolute best you can get, Keens, Monty or Westcombe are all classed as West Country Farmhouse Cheddar and carry a 'Protected Destination of Origin')
1 beaten Free Range Egg
A little Milk
Pinch of Salt
1/2 tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Method

Preheat oven at gas mark 9 (around 250 degrees c)

Add grated cheese to flour. Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda & baking powder, then add 1/2 the beaten egg & enough milk to make a soft dough.

Roll out to around 1/4 inch thickness & cut into scone shape and arrange on a lined baking tray. Brush Scone tops with the rest of the beaten egg & sprinkle each scone with some of the grated cheese before baking.

 Bake for 8-10 minutes.


Whilst still warm cut open a scone or two & enjoy with a sliver of butter
.

No comments:

Post a Comment